Évora: the most romantic city of the Alentejo
Evora owes its original name Ebora to the Celts and is one of the most beautiful historical cities in the world. The Romans built their glorious temple in honor of the emperor Augustus and the Portuguese nobility had erected imposing palaces, chapels, convents, churches and the majestic Gothic cathedral. Traces of different eras and civilizations remain practically intact in a city where people stroll through cobbled medieval streets. Wide arcades give way to picturesque squares, where you can find handicraft shops and modern brand boutiques. Cafes with terraces invite you to relax, while bars and restaurants offer a gastronomic journey through the southern region of the country. Leave the worries of the modern world and welcome the charm of Évora – the most romantic city of the Alentejo!
The beauty of yesteryear and the dynamism of today
Admire the Roman history of Évora in the Temple of Diana or stroll through the Moorish area north of the city. One of Évora’s main attractions is the Chapel of Bones, where hundreds of human bones exposed on the walls and ceiling will surely be engraved in your memory. The city’s abundance of monuments led to its classification as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, which considered it “the best example of a city of the Portuguese Golden Age after the destruction of Lisbon in the 1755 earthquake.”
VISIT HERITAGE WINES OF CARTUXA ÉVORA:
The Monastery of the Cartuja was built in Evora between 1587 and 1598 by Archbishop D. Teotónio of the House of Braganza, which, once reigning, artistically enriched the church. XVII, D. Pedro II, with portico and marble facade, admired from the outside, XVIII, D. João V, with gilded altarpiece; so this church was declared a national monument in 1910.
It is here that the Carthusian monks lead a solitary life of prayer, dating from 1598.
The monastery is near Évora and its bell, especially the bell of midnight, is part of the charm of the city-museum, a world heritage site. Today the Carthusian of Santa Maria Scala Coeli is considered by the eborenses as one of its treasures, artistic and, more, spiritual.
But in 1834, the revolutionary forces expelled the Carthusians, along with all the religious. The monastery happened to be of the State that used it for School of agriculture (the monumental church served as barn …). In 1871 the family Eugénio de Almeida acquired the ruins.
In the middle of the century. XX the heir, Vasco Maria, Count of Villalva, decided to restore the monastery and return it to the Order of St. Bruno. Seven founders in 1587 and seven restorers in 1960. The restoration of the Carthusian Monks was initiated in 1960, at the invitation of the Foundation’s Institution, who, for this purpose, undertook extensive reconstruction and restoration of the building. The Monastery of Santa Maria Scala Coeli or Cartuxa de Évora, owned by the Eugénio de Almeida Foundation, is a place of prayer and contemplation, the only presence of the Carthusian monks in Portugal.
From then on Carthusian life was reborn and revived in Santa Maria Scala Coeli, open to the entrance of new Portuguese vocations.
Neighbor of the Cartuja Cellar, with it shares a bucolic atmosphere that invites to the serenity and the recollection.
Places to visit…
Templo de Diana
Capela dos Ossos
Igreja de São Francisco
Aqueduto da Água de Prata
Sé de Évora
Provas de Vinhos Cartuxa