Vimeiro is a beautiful parish situated in Lourinhã, in the central-western region, full of great natural beauty, and its toponym to the abundant shrubs on the beautiful bank of the Alcabrichel.
This is a region of great natural beauty, still rural, although with a great tourist development due to its rich mineral waters, thermal baths, golf and swimming pools.
The parish is about 375 years old, although the earliest historical documents that allude to Vimeiro refer to a charter dated from the 18th century. XII.
It is said that in Vimeiro lived the Queen Santa Isabel that discovered the value of the waters of the Baths of the Maceira, when they had cured to him an illness of skin that it took to heal. The Termas da Maceira is located in front of the sea, in a verdant area of great beauty, suitable for treatment of respiratory, digestive and circulatory system problems, skin diseases and dermatological conditions.
The parish is proud of its natural, natural, landscape and architectural patrimony, from which stands the beautiful Mother Church and the Monument of the Battle of Vimeiro, built in 1908 in the area where Batalha took place, overlooking the town from where a panorama of excellence.
In fact, the Vimeiro was in history due to the Battle that was here, between the Portuguese troops allied to the English, against the numerous Napoleonic troops.
The Battle of Vimeiro
The Battle of Vimeiro was confined on 21 August 1808, in the territory of Vimeiro, between the troops of the Luso-British alliance of Arthur Wellesley and Bernardino Freire and the French troops commanded by Junot.
After the French defeat at the Battle of Roliça two days earlier, the Portuguese-British troops headed for Lisbon, confronted by the troops of Junot, next to the Vimeiro, emerging again victorious.
This battle paved the way for the negotiations that culminated in the Sintra Convention #, which allowed the French troops to withdraw from the Iberian Peninsula with all their baggage and plunder on British ships.